YDesign Group is a family of online-led retail brands offering the best in modern and contemporary lighting, fans, furniture and home décor accessories to design-driven consumers and trade professionals.
Our flagship brand YLighting launched in 2001 and is the foremost modern lighting retailer in North America. Our selection is expansive, but curated to offer the best in the industry, from top international brands, to emerging studios to iconic names in design. In 2016, YDesign Group acquired Lumens, a leading multi-channel retail brand in lighting, modern furniture and home décor accessories. Together, the YDesign Group retail brands bring an unparalleled selection of modern design for retail consumers and trade professionals.
Our difference is our commitment to an incomparable customer experience, including expert advice from our in-house team of professionals, plus service, support and inspiration throughout our customers’ projects.
Check us out here:
As a category leader working closely with the Senior Merchandise Manager, the Merchandise Manager is focused on developing plans to reach Lumens and YLighting financial objectives – including cultivating strong relationships with vendors and offering an extensive and compelling product assortment. The Merchandise Manager will stay current on product trends, competition and partner landscape to seize opportunities and manage risk. She/He will work closely with the Product Content and Site Merchandising team to drive the creation of compelling Product, Brand and Collection content and continuously improve customer experience; will collaborate with the Marketing team to develop and execute effective and on- brand promotion strategy to drive business results; will support Sales Team and Ops Team as needed to facilitate the resolutions of operational or logistical issues with our brand partners.
1. Vendor Recruiting and Management
• Recruit, lead negotiation process and onboard new vendors to meet weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly financial plans
• Monitor Vendor brand performance and re-negotiate Contract terms as needed (Discounts, allowances, rebates and Co-Op $)
• Monitor financial performance to grow revenue and improve vendor performance — inclusive of marketing and inventory management recommendations – to meet or exceed sales and margin targets
• Negotiate vendor participation to promotional events and any other marketing channels as needed.
• Deliver on the brand’s and category monthly, quarterly and annual priorities
2. Product Assortment and Management
• Develop compelling assortment that are up-to-date, brand-aligned, and well curated for assigned product categories
• Analyze and drive business on a weekly, monthly and quarterly basis to meet and exceed plans for assigned product categories
• Drive and optimize inventory investments and liabilities with Planning team
• Drive the creation of accurate and helpful product content and educate product content team on product category and merchandising best practices
• Coordinate and inform other functions of vendor and product assortment updates
3. Marketing and Website Experience
• Support marketing of owned categories by developing and driving optimized execution of marketing promotional calendar + events
• Partner with Marketing to build engaging homepage and promotional/events landing pages
• Collaborate on site presentation and user experience design decisions to offer an engaging and high converting site experience
• Maintain knowledge of customers, competitors, partners and industry. Conduct regular competitive analysis to identify threats and opportunities to maintain leadership
• Lead projects to improve our content management and merchandising processes and tools
4. Help develop and lead Merchandising Specialist(s) and/or Assistant Merchandise Manager
• Guide and Mentor Merchandising Specialist(s) in assorting themed assortments / shoppable stories
• Monitor special projects for the Merchandising Specialist(s) as needed
• Provide support to Assistant Merchandise Manager as needed
• Demonstrate our company values and make YDG a great place to work for ‘A players’
Key Performance Metrics:
• Meet or exceed agreed upon category revenue, gross margin targets and variable contribution goal
• Build + deliver on a compelling category strategy
• Exemplify our Core Values
Other Role Requirements:
• Travel up to 10%
• Possibility of some remote work
• Location – Based in Walnut Creek, California (temporarily working remote)
• Results focused, can handle multiple projects and priorities
• Understanding of online shopping / e-commerce
• Ability to shift focus from tactical operations to long-term strategic planning
• Ability to work independently and in teams
• Resourceful and self-driven with strong work ethic
• Scrappy – get things done within the constraints of a growing business
• Flexible and adaptive to changing priorities
• Strong analytical skills – able to organize data to identify opportunities
• Strong leadership skills to drive team to meet strategic and financial targets
• Strong negotiation skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Loves design and has passion about being part of this company
• 6+ years of merchandising experience in an e-commerce or multi-channel specialty retailer.
• Internet & rapidly growing environment experience a plus.
• 3 to 5 years’ experience in vendor management
• 1 to 2 years’ experience in leading team to meet strategic and financial targets
• Experience planning, assigning and prioritizing time-sensitive projects
• Proven record of meeting or exceeding financial plans
• BA required