YDesign Group is a family of online-led retail brands offering the best in modern and contemporary lighting, fans, furniture and home décor accessories to design-driven consumers and trade professionals.
Our flagship brand YLighting launched in 2001 and is the foremost modern lighting retailer in North America. Our selection is expansive, but curated to offer the best in the industry, from top international brands, to emerging studios to iconic names in design. In 2016, YDesign Group acquired Lumens, a leading multi-channel retail brand in lighting, modern furniture and home décor accessories. Together, the YDesign Group retail brands bring an unparalleled selection of modern design for retail consumers and trade professionals.
Our difference is our commitment to an incomparable customer experience, including expert advice from our in-house team of professionals, plus service, support and inspiration throughout our customers’ projects.
Check us out here:
YDesign Group is seeking a Merchandise Manager. As a category leader working closely with the Director of Merchandising, the Merchandise Manager is focused on developing plans to reach Lumens and YLighting financial objectives – including cultivating strong relationships with vendors and offering an extensive and compelling product assortment. The Merchandise Manager will stay current on product trends, competition and partner landscape to seize opportunities and manage risk. She/He will work closely with the Product Content and Site Merchandising team to drive the creation of compelling Product, Brand and Collection content and continuously improve customer experience; will collaborate with the Marketing team to develop and execute compelling and on-brand promotion strategy to drive business results; will support Sales Team and Ops Team as needed to facilitate the resolutions of Operations/Customer Service or Logistical issues with our brand partners.
Vendor Recruiting and Management
• Recruit, lead negotiation process and onboard new vendors to meet weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly financial plans
• Monitor Vendor brand performance and re-negotiate Contract terms as needed (Discounts, allowances, rebates and Co-Op $)
• Develop and monitor marketing plans to grow revenue and margin $
• Deliver on the brand’s and category monthly, quarterly and annual priorities
Product Assortment and Management
• Develop assortment that are up-to-date, brand-aligned, and well curated
• Analyze and drive business on a weekly, monthly and quarterly bass to meet and exceed plans
• Drive and optimize inventory investments and liabilities with Planning team
• Drive the creation of accurate and helpful product content and educate product content team on product category and merchandising best practices
• Coordinate and inform other functions of vendor and product assortment updates
Sourcing and Private Label
• Work closely with vendors on product development and coordinate with suppliers who can best execute our aesthetics and meet target costs.
• Allocate designs to appropriate sources with support growth strategies.
• Deliver aesthetically correct products that meet merchandising vision
• Manage the design and production calendar to ensure on time deliveries.
• Manage the product development and approval process and ensure vendors follow protocol.
• Work closely with Marketing to develop needed creative assets: images, content, etc.
• Work closely with vendors to provide data sheet to Product Content team to publish new products to our websites.
• Monitor production process by reviewing weekly production status reports and maintain reports. Communicate to teams on delivery status. Anticipate and resolve issues.
• Develop presentation boards and the sourcing spreadsheet.
• Manage production of new product samples and maintain status reports on all product development projects.
• Resolve sample issues and work closely with agents and vendors.
• Develop and oversee and PL assortment sheet.
Marketing and Website Experience
• Help to develop and drive optimized execution of marketing promotional calendar + events. Negotiate vendor participation
• Partner with Marketing to build engaging homepage and promotional/events landing pages
• Collaborate on site presentation and user experience design decisions to offer an engaging and high converting site experience
• Maintain knowledge of customers, competitors, partners and industry. Conduct regular competitive analysis to identify threats and opportunities to maintain leadership
• Lead projects to improve our content management and merchandising processes and tools.
Help develop and lead Assistant Merchandise Manager and Promotion Specialist
• Guide Assistant Merchandise Manager in assorting themed assortments / shoppable stories
• Provide and monitor special projects for the Promotion Specialist
• Demonstrate our company values and make this a great place to work for ‘A players’
Key Performance Metrics:
• Meet or exceed agreed upon category revenue, gross margin targets and variable contribution goal
• Build + deliver on a compelling category strategy
• Exemplify our Core Values
Other Role Requirements:
• Travel up to 10%
• Possibility of some remote work
• Location – Walnut Creek, California or Sacramento, California and PT Remote Work optional
• Results focused, can handle multiple projects and priorities
• Understanding of online shopping / e-commerce
• Ability to shift focus from tactical operations to long-term strategic planning
• Ability to work independently and in teams
• Resourceful and self-driven with strong work ethic
• Scrappy – get things done within the constraints of a growing business
• Flexible and adaptive to changing priorities
• Strong analytical skills – able to organize data to identify opportunities
• Strong leadership skills to drive team to meet strategic and financial targets
• Strong negotiation skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Loves design and has passion about being part of this company
• 6+ years of merchandising experience in an e-commerce or multi-channel specialty retailer. Internet & rapidly growing environment experience a plus.
• 3 to 5 years’ experience in vendor management
• 1 to 2 years’ experience in leading team to meet strategic and financial targets
• Experience planning, assigning and prioritizing time-sensitive projects
• Proven record of meeting or exceeding financial plans